Home for the Brave
The Home for the Brave program was created by Broward Housing Solutions® on November 11, 2012 with the purpose of providing returning veterans with affordable, safe, and permanent housing. Serving veterans with severe cases of mental illness such as, Major Depression Disorder, Bi-Polar and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) are our priorities within this program.
Some alarming statistics that helped launch our initiative in creating this program included, but were not limited to:
- 250,000, or one-third (75,000), of Florida’s homeless population are veterans; according to the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
- Addiction and mental illness can be attributed to homelessness within the veteran population, which is experienced by approximately 76% of homeless veterans.
- Foreclosure rates are four times higher for veterans than that of a non-veteran.
- Veterans face the highest unemployment rate at 9.2%.
- 19% of veterans from the Iraq War screen positive for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).