Mental Health Therapist
|Position Title: Mental Health Therapist||Date Revised: 3/20/2023|
|FLSA Status: Exempt / Salaried||Reports To: Chief Programs Officer|
Broward Housing Solutions® is a 501(c)3 non-profit community housing development organization (CHDO) that provides quality, permanent and affordable housing opportunities to meet the needs of lower income or homeless people with disabilities who also have mental illness.
The Mental Health Therapist will provide clinical assessments, crisis intervention, and supportive therapeutic services and clinical interventions to individuals diagnosed with a Severe and Persistent Mental Illness (SPMI).
This position does not supervise any direct reports.
- Conduct home visits in collaboration with the Housing Specialist to address crisis, roommate conflict, and any other behavior health challenges.
- Conduct thorough biopsychosocial assessments and effectively diagnose mental health disorders.
- Provide clinical assessments of at-risk clients and facilitate the development of treatment plans to prevent further psychological or physical deterioration.
- Provide immediate crisis intervention, including an assessment of the individual/family’s needs and/or current functioning.
- Provide stabilization including using effective communication skills, relationship building, behavioral intervention techniques, and safety planning.
- Provide consultation to community providers regarding the behavioral health components of the client’s presentation and work collaboratively to effectively address symptoms and enhance functioning.
- Provide Case Management and consulting services to link clients with community resources.
- Provide flexible therapeutic and follow-up services with an interactive approach, and thoroughly document therapeutic interventions in the client’s records in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate and model stable, appropriate boundaries with clients.
- Ability to treat mental health disorders through a variety of modalities, with an emphasis on Evidence Based Psychotherapies and interventions.
- Complies with HIPAA Privacy Rules and communicates pertinent clinical information, with necessary client consents.
- Ability to recognize, display sensitivity, and respond appropriately to disabilities, socio-economic and cultural differences in the service population.
- Ability to exercise appropriate judgment in day-to-day aspects of job, as well as, in more challenging situations, such as handling multiple priority tasks, addressing and responding to client’s needs, etc.
- Communicates in an effective and professional manner with colleagues, supervisors, subordinates, clients, and community partners, etc. Handles interpersonal confrontations/conflicts related to organization and/or job-related issues in a productive and professional manner. Willing to assume responsibility and accountability for projects outside of the scope of normal duties and job description as necessary in order to help the team.
- Knowledge with substance abuse, mental illness, pharmacology, psychiatric issues, and homelessness
- Ability to communicate effectively and customize approach.
- Ability to manage multiple caseloads.
- Exhibits effective listening skills
- Understands and uses effective de-escalation techniques
- Accuratcy in volume data entry and record keeping
- Microsoft 365 / Teams
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Mental Health Counseling, Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy (or the equivalent) from an accredited university or college in the field of counseling, social work, psychology, or related human service.
- Individual must have a qualified supervisor if they are a registered clinical social worker or registered marriage and family therapist.
- Individual must be registered with the Florida Department of Health as an intern or licensed clinician.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working with individuals with a mental health diagnosis and/or substance use issues
- Expansive knowledge of evidence-based models and clinical therapeutic interventions preferred.
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Ability to do field work and conduct client visitation.
All job requirements in the job description provided indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities deemed necessary to perform the job competently. Job descriptions are an overview of the duties, responsibilities and requirements of the position. Employees may be required to perform other job-related assignments as requested.
Please direct all online inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org