Housing Specialist Owned/Operated
The Housing Specialist has the responsibility of maintaining assigned BHS® Rental Housing Program tenant files to include preparation of leases, income certification, verifying third-party information, primary contact with tenants and case managers to resolve all tenant concerns and provide appropriate follow up, IRAS Reporting, BBHC/DCF Timesheet entry and tracking, rent collection, etc. Housing Specialist is responsible for the timely placement of tenants into vacant units to help end homelessness. The Housing Specialist is also responsible for monitoring tenants’ compliance with house rules and lease agreement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Complete Income certification of all new tenants and annual certifications for existing clients according to HUD, HOME and SHIP guidelines in a timely manner.
- Prepare for and participate in SHIP, HOME, FHLB, and CHDO monitoring on an annual basis.
- Responsible for lease execution and annual renewals.
- Maintain accurate call log of tenant concerns and update supervisor and tenant case manager as needed to assist with problem resolution.
- Provide weekly Hotlist to CPO and other BHS® staff involved in program.
- Maintain documentation related to tenant’s registered vehicles, pets and visitors.
- Work with case managers to ensure appropriate services are provided to their clients (i.e., social security benefits, employment assistance, Liheap applications, budgeting, referrals to other agencies).
- Resolve issues/complaints through written and verbal communications with tenants and case managers.
- Conduct staffing with tenants and their respective case managers when tenant is in danger of losing his or her housing.
- Relay maintenance issues to Maintenance Department.
- Complete intake process for new clients.
- Show apartments to potential clients.
- Conduct move-in and move-out walk through inspections.
- Maintain Housing Waiting List reports and files for upcoming vacant units by provider agency, client name and number of bedrooms required. Work with case managers to ensure information is accurate and up to date. If applicable, contact Waiting List Client for further information or placement.
- Responsible for unit occupancy and program utilization.
- Prepare and maintain all tenant files with appropriate documents, correspondence and up to date call log reports.
- Responsible for the collection of tenant rents, security deposits, payment agreements and invoice charges.
- Prepare Lease Violations, Seven Day and Termination notices for tenants when they fail to pay rent or when they demonstrate behaviors or actions that violate the terms of their lease.
- Prepare and send invoices for tenants who have outstanding charges and to mental health providers that hold payee status for clients.
- Document time spent with clients into BBHS/DCF timesheets.
- Comply with HIPAA regulations.
- Oversees all client correspondence (phone calls and written) relevant to their rental unit and documents activities regularly.
- Complies with all HIPAA regulations as related to the client/tenants housed under assigned HUD federal program.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy a must.
- Customer/tenant relations skills.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated in a fast-paced environment, and work well under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Must have strong writing skills.
- Proficient knowledge of computer applications.
- Must be able to pass the pre-employment computer aptitude test with the following minimum scores:
- Microsoft Excel: 6 or greater
- Microsoft Word: 7 or greater
- Microsoft Outlook: 7 or greater
- Education Requirement: Bachelor’s Degree / Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field.
- Housing Property Management experience preferred.
- Able to work comfortably with agency’s target population.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Successfully complete Level 2 background and drug screening.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Please direct all online inquiries to HR@bhsftl.org