Housing Specialist – Federal & UWBC
The Housing Specialist (Federal) has the responsibility of maintaining assigned BHS®’ federally-funded/HUD and United Way of Broward County (UWBC) Permanent-Supportive and Rapid Rehousing Programs including recruiting landlords, maintaining tenant files, preparation of leases, income certification, verifying third-Party information, primary contact with tenants and clinical/case managers to resolve all tenant concerns and provide appropriate follow up, Incident Reporting and Analysis System (IRAS) via online incident reporting; tracking rent collection, stability of residents via coordination with Case Managers. The Housing Specialist is responsible for tracking, rent collection, timely placement of tenants into vacant units to help end homelessness. This position is also responsible for monitoring tenants’ compliance with house rules and lease agreement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Complete Income certification of all new tenants and annual certifications for existing clients according to HUD (Housing and Urban Development), HOME and SHIP (State Housing Initiative Partnership (Florida)) guidelines in a timely manner.
- Prepare for and participate in SHIP, HOME, FHLB, and CHDO monitoring on an annual basis.
- Responsible for lease execution and annual renewals by June 1st.
- Maintain accurate resident contact call log of tenant concerns and update supervisor and tenant case manage as needed to assist with conflict resolution.
- Provide weekly “Hotlist” to Chief Programs Officer (CPO) and other BHS® Senior staff overseeing federal/HUD housing programs.
- Maintain documentation related to tenant’s registered vehicles, pets and visitors.
- • Work with subcontracting mental health agency/provider (case managers) to ensure appropriate supportive and community social services are provided to their clients (i.e., social security benefits, employment assistance, LIHEAP (Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program) applications, budgeting, referrals to other agencies).
- Resolve issues/complaints through written and verbal communications with tenants and case managers.
- Conduct staffing meetings with tenants and their respective case managers when tenant is in danger of losing his or her housing.
- Relay maintenance and all other tenant issues to landlord property management and/or maintenance departments.
- Work with Subcontracting Mental Health Providing agency to complete intake process for new clients.
- Recruit new landlords who will work with subsidized housing
- Retain positive relationships with current landlords to secure additional housing when clients choose to move, or program grows via additional funding opportunities
- Show apartments to potential client/residents.
- Conduct tenant move-in and move-out walk through inspections.
- Responsible for unit occupancy and full program utilization as directed by federal funding sources.
- Prepare and maintain all tenant files with appropriate documents, correspondence and up to date call log reports to remain compliant with requirements.
- Responsible for the collection of tenant rents, security deposits, payment agreements and invoice charges and work with Accounting department for client tenant rent reconciliation.
- Prepare Lease Violations, Seven Day and Termination notices for tenants when they fail to pay rent or when they demonstrate behaviors or actions that violate the terms of their lease.
- Prepare and send invoices for tenants who have outstanding charges and to mental health providers that hold payee status for clients.
- Participate in the collection of performance measurement data to needed
- Oversees all client correspondence (phone calls, in-person, verbal and written) relevant to their rental unit and documents activities regularly.
- Complies with all HIPAA regulations as related to the client/tenants housed under assigned HUD federal program.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy a must.
- Strong customer/tenant relations skills.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated in a fast-paced environment, and work well under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Must have strong writing skills.
- Real Estate background a plus
- Proficient knowledge of computer applications.
- Must be able to pass the pre-employment computer aptitude test with the following minimum scores:
- a. Microsoft Excel: 6 or greater
- b. Microsoft Word: 7 or greater
- c. Microsoft Outlook: 7 or greater
- Education Requirement: BA/BS preferred; AA/AAS Degree or equivalent professional experience considered
- Able to work comfortably with mentally ill population.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Successfully complete Level 2 background screening
Please direct all online inquiries to HR@bhsftl.org