POSITION TITLE: Grant Writer
REPORTS TO: President/CEO
DATE: December 2018
Broward Housing Solutions® (BHS®) is a 501(C)3, nonprofit organization dedicated to augmenting the supply of the much-needed affordable housing in Broward County, Florida, so that people of all demographics with disabling conditions including mental illness, will have a better opportunity to live in decent and affordable housing. Established in February 1993, BHS® a preeminent affordable housing development, lease-to-buy (LTB) home-ownership and property management agency in Broward County addresses the community’s serious social issue surrounding homelessness.
BHS® is the only Certified Housing Development Organization (CHDO) in Broward County that specializes in providing affordable housing to low-income or homeless people with disabilities who also have mental illness. Managing over 154 rooms within 96-apartments in 19-owned and operated properties scattered throughout Broward County, BHS® also collaborates with third party landlords who provide housing for an additional 146 residents and families. BHS® also offers robust supportive service programming (Case Management) for residents via collaborative community mental health partners. An innovator of affordable housing, BHS® is responsible to steward funding investments it receives, partnering with community organizations who provide clinical and wrap-around services that enhance successful, independent and sustainable, independent living for client/residents and their families.
The Grant Writer is a part-time position that reports directly into the President/CEO. This position is responsible for researching, writing and coordinating the grant application process; management of proposals and maintaining a donor database.
The Grant Writer also works closely with Senior Managers in the design, budgeting, implementation, tracking, reporting and evaluation of new affordable housing programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Responsible for researching and identifying grants, contracts, and other development-related opportunities, RFA/RFPs, professional development events, industry news and happenings, etc.
- Generates proposals and supporting documents in response to solicitations.
- Work closely with CEO and senior managers to meet progress reporting deadlines of grant-funded programs or services.
- Make informed recommendations, on grant application guidelines, and manage deadlines.
- Maintains and implements funding calendar activities.
- Identifies funding opportunities and new program areas to match BHS® s priorities, using research tools.
- Engage with program officers to solicit invitations to submit proposals.
- Generates revenues for BSH® programs through timely submissions of well researched, written and documented grant/fund proposals.
- A solid understanding of budget and fiscal management as they relate to proposals and grants.
- Perform research into grant-making organizations
- Write applications, letters of intent/inquiry (LOI) while displaying meticulous grammar and spelling.
- Analyze the feasibility of the project’s budget.
- Occasionally interview people in the organization and perform. comprehensive research to complete the project given.
- Must have complete understanding of the nonprofit’s affordable housing programs
- Will keep in contact with the potential grantor/organization to check the progress of submitted proposal.
- Submit progress report(s) to organizations upon request.
- Will be required to submit progress reports/updates to the CEO on a weekly basis.
- Adhere to specific guidelines given by the CEO.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Communications, English, professional writing or a similar major, with a minimum of five years related experience and a proven track record in grant-writing and program development. Candidate must have excellent written, oral, and verbal communication skills, be proficient in research, interpreting, and analyzing diverse data and possess the ability to work collaboratively and independently to achieve stated goals.
- Excellent organizational skills and accuracy a must.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel and PowerPoint required. Possess experience using online grant-research databases and other sources to locate funding sources and financial information.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated in a fast-paced environment, and work well under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Must be detailed-oriented and highly organized.
- Nonprofit experience a plus.
- Excellent writing skills a must.
- Outstanding grammar and research skills are essential.
- Communication and leadership courses or training (recommended).
- Proof of certification or license of grant writer workshop or training (recommended).
Please direct all online inquiries to HR@browardhousingsolutions.org