CHIEF PROGRAM OFFICER (CPO)
POSITION TITLE: CHIEF PROGRAM OFFICER (CPO)
REPORTS TO: President/CEO
DATE: August 2019
SUMMARY and OBJECTIVE
The mission of Broward Housing Solutions® (BHS®) is to provide quality, permanent and affordable housing opportunities to low-income and/or homeless people who also have mental illness. Since February 1993, BHS® has worked diligently to provide high-quality, affordable and permanent housing, coupled with holistic wrap-around, and support services to those experiencing persistent economic hardship and have mental illness in Broward County. BHS® operates a scattered site, 19-owned and operated, multi-family properties totaling 154-bedrooms within 96-apartments of affordable housing. Additionally, collaborates with third party landlords who provide housing for an additional 146 residents and families. BHS® also offers robust programming for residents via collaborative community mental health partners.
An innovator of affordable housing, BHS® is responsible to steward funding investments it receives, partnering with community organizations who provide clinical and support services that enhance successful, independent and sustainable, independent living for client/residents.
The CHIEF PROGRAM OFFICER (CPO) is part of BHS®’ Senior Management team. This position provides leadership to, and directly supports housing compliance; the delivery of housing services to the fiscal, ethical and legal standards required by HUD/Federal, State/BBHC local Broward County and municipalities; champions BHS®’ mission, vision and core values. The CPO is a critical role in managing the day-to-day effectiveness of Operations, Compliance, Finance and Human Resources (HR) functions. The CPO plays a pivotal role in developing and implementing systems to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of BHS®’ team outcomes. Via the use of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), The CPO will support Team BHS®, driving behaviors, emphasizing individuals’ ability to grow and expand the agency’s housing programs via collaborative community partnerships and aim to yield positive tenant survey scores. The CPO will oversee the Housing and Case Management Services departments concentrating on resourcing, developing, training and building a leadership team of successors.
The CPO reports to the President/CEO serving as an integral member of the senior leadership team. The CPO is responsible for the development of BHS® Housing fiscal management strategy and accountable for the design and management of process, procedures, compliance and operations that support the organization’s strategic goals.
In addition, the CPO will be charged with aligning, developing and implementing policies and procedures in finance, data-collection, management, and general operational departments. They will oversee: Owned/Operated, Federal/HUD, Administrative, and Clinical teams; Direct internal and operational functions, and collaborate closely with the President/CEO and Controller to ensure consistency of process and operations across the organization.
The CPO’s leadership duties will comprise of financial and operational expertise, creative problem-solving, managing for results and driving behavior changes, direct and indirect leadership, and change-management to join in a high-growth, fast-paced and mission-driven nonprofit agency.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Collaborate with Housing and Clinical teams
- Developing and implementing written policies and procedures, and best practices that reflect the objectives of the agency’s goals and the mission.
- Attend community housing and client-related meetings, programs, presentations and other initiatives, task force, nonprofit groups, etc., to promote continuous agency growth (as requested).
- Provide CEO with weekly updates (via meetings and reports) as needed or as escalation matters occur.
- Attend monthly board of directors (BOD) meetings
- Lead Annual Operations Planning ✓ Facilitate regular review of progress and reporting of BHS®’ outcomes, attrition rates and overall evolution of operations goals vs. actuals (vacancy vs. wait list)
- Ensure that team accountabilities are clear, and collaboration is ongoing for tactics requiring multiple team members
- Create and communicate decision-making process
- Help design and facilitate leadership discussions that inform decisions and drive behaviors
- Oversee the development and CPO documentation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Manage Finance and Accounting aspects of Owned/Operated and Federal Housing Programs
- Cost accounting process (with Controller and CEO) to assist in establishing annual budget and actual cost of operations, financial management, cash flow processes of housing departments and the analysis of variances.
- Support decision-making to reduce agency’s expenses and improve income (profitability) of housing programs.
- Supervise Data collection and management process
- Ensure Program Measures and Outcomes are congruent with funding requirements ✓ Create data-driven reporting.
- Evaluate results to ensure that departmental and organizational objectives are met
- Database systems & staff training, use (improvement)
- Annual Tenant Satisfaction Survey feedback (reporting) process and policy
- Oversee HR Planning, Policy, and Process
- Ensure sound policy and process for recruiting, performance management, and compensation management
- Staff training and accountability (Key Performance Indicators [KPI])
- Oversee and support cultural initiatives as required by Federal, State and local county requirements
- Ensure compliance and oversee HR risk-management
- Administer Property Development and Management ✓ Support the implementation of new occupancy / vacancy client intake processes
- Facilitate and support collaborative process in Property / Facilities Management
- Comply with HIPPA regulations
- Builds Trust: HONEST: Behaves and expresses oneself in an open and honest manner. Is consistent in word and actions. Tells the truth even when it is difficult. Shares information accurately, completely and appropriately. COMMITTED: Follows through on assignments and commitments. Supports Emory goals and initiatives. Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Collaborative: RESPECT: Treats all people with dignity, respect and fairness. Resolves interpersonal conflicts constructively. Shares time, energy and knowledge with others to ensure they can succeed. INCLUSIVENESS: Demonstrates awareness and respect of cultural and individual values. Appreciates and leverages the strengths of others to accomplish goals, regardless of background. Listens to ideas from others, even when different from own. Is careful to ensure all sides are heard before reaching a conclusion.
- Communication: LISTENS AND SHARES: Provides regular, consistent, and meaningful information. Listens carefully to others and ensures message is understood. Ensures important matters are shared with all appropriate parties. CLARITY: Communicates in a clear and concise manner. Uses appropriate grammar, pronunciation and tone to enhance understanding. Demonstrates professionalism through body language, including eye-contact and posture. Tailors communication style to needs of the recipient.
- Delivers Results: PRODUCTIVITY: Strives to consistently achieve excellence in all tasks and goals. Maintains focus and perseveres in the face of obstacles. Uses time efficiently and responds quickly and constructively when confronted with challenges. Prioritizes tasks based on importance. PERSONAL GROWTH: Ensures job knowledge and skills are current and valuable. Receptive to feedback.
- Problem Solves: DECISION MAKING AND REASONING: Considers multiple sides of an issue. Weighs consequences before making final decision. Makes informed decisions based on available information. Recognizes issues, and determines actions needed to advance the decision-making process. Follows up as necessary. ADAPTABILITY: Not discouraged by ambiguous situations. Is open to new ideas and processes. Adjusts approach to achieve results.
- Takes Initiative: Responds appropriately on own to improve outcomes, processes or measurements. Assumes responsibility and leadership when asked. Accomplishes goals independently, with little need for supervision. Takes
- Functional Knowledge and Skills: Demonstrates skills and knowledge relevant to one’s own function or work group. Applies current best practices in discipline or specialty area. Stays aware of major developments in discipline or specialty area. Recognized by customers and team members for functional knowledge and skills.
- Service to Others/Client Focus: Listens to customers (internal and external) and addresses needs and concerns. Keeps customers informed by providing status reports and progress updates. Delivers on service commitments. Meets established or agreed upon deadlines. Maintains supportive relationships with customers. Uses initiative to improve outcomes, processes, or measurements.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS
- Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10-years of senior executive leadership experience (preferably within non-profit arena)
- Strong leadership with a focus on strategic, communicative, motivational, development/training and problem-solving management
- Work independently and be self-motivated in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work comfortably with mentally ill and disabled population
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office: Excel. Outlook. Word)
- Familiarity with Yardi Property Management system is a plus
- Must have driver’s license and reliable source of transportation
- Must successfully complete Level II background screening check with ‘Eligible to Work’ status
The final candidate must successfully complete Level II background screening with ‘Eligible to Work’ status before employment is confirmed.
To apply: Email resume, cover letter, a relevant writing sample, salary history, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience, health and retirement benefits also provided. Broward Housing Solutions is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace.