Position Title: Case Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt / Salaried
Reports To: Case Manager Supervisor
Broward Housing Solutions® is a 501(c)3 non-profit community housing development organization (CHDO) that provides quality, permanent and affordable housing opportunities to meet the needs of lower income or homeless people with disabilities who also have mental illness.
Make sure clients that are going to their dr. appointments, sufficient food, current housing is intact, they pay their bills, follow up on their daily living routine –Coordinate with Housing Specialist for landlords through rental leases.
This position does not supervise any direct reports.
- BHS Case Managers work with residential clients on a daily basis to improve their quality of life.
- Provide ongoing counseling on basic living skills to include nutrition education, money management, maintaining hygiene, maintaining a place to live, medication management as instructed by their physician, and making sure scheduled doctor appointments are met.
- Maintain accurate resident charts, inputting time sensitive data on a weekly basis.
- Maintains detailed daily notes in Flex.
- Maintains county logs which are updated monthly – HMIS.
- Updates mental health forms annually, ensuring the client’s ongoing qualification for the program. Makes sure that the mental health forms are updated and signed off by a medical provider.
- Manages gift card purchases for residents needing special provision.
- Assists with social security applications, retirement, EBT food stamps, etc.
- Maintaining accurate client files/notes for scheduled audits.
- Conducts weekly calls and monthly visits to all residents (more often if a client has a medical issue that needs to be monitored).
- Reviews rental agreements/leases with each resident to assist them with understanding contract terms.
- Coordinates any resident allowances should they request finances management through BHS.
- Work with residents to create realistic budgets, teaching them fundamentals on finance management.
- Purchases bus passes, gift cards, necessary supplies, and coordinates donations for items needed.
- Will answer to resident emergencies, making site visits should clients lock themselves out, seek rehabilitation, need to move, etc.
- Works with Housing Specialist to initiate rental agreements/leases.
- Makes sure residents are supplied with essential appliances and furniture.
- Once a lease is signed, case management will work in collaboration with the Housing Specialist and the referring agency to identify resources and financial assistance for moving the client’s move into the apartment. This may entail mobilizing volunteers or arranging for BHS to fund a portion of the moving costs.
- Makes sure that clients are following BHS program rules and procedures.
- Complies with HIPAA Privacy Rules and communicates pertinent clinical information, with necessary client consents.
- Knowledge with substance abuse, mental illness, pharmacology, psychiatric issues, homelessness
- Ability to communicate effectively and customize approach.
- Ability to manage multiple caseloads.
- Exhibits effective listening skills and communication skills.
- Understands and uses effective de-escalation techniques.
- Accuracy in volume data entry and record keeping.
- Microsoft 365 / Teams
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field with at least two years of related experience. Years of experience, if appropriate, may substitute formal education. Expansive knowledge of community resources preferred. Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Ability to do field work and conduct client visitation.
All job requirements in the job description provided indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities deemed necessary to perform the job competently. Job descriptions are an overview of the duties, responsibilities, and requirements of the position. Employees may be required to perform other job-related assignments as requested.